Reading Conservative commentary on The Newsroom is actually disturbing. Their negative comments prove the points the show is trying to make. They prove that polarised, extreme and unrelenting views exist and continue to dominate American political life.
The Newsroom tries to say:
- That some Republicans say some really stupid, outrageous things and nobody calls them out on it - in fact, it gets them votes somehow.
- Political rhetoric in America is so divisive, polarised and extreme that it’s no wonder the country is getting nowhere.
- That holding to unmoveable, unrelenting views and refusing to be influenced by facts is a serious problem which a lot of politicians are guilty of.
- There are such things as ‘compromise’ and ‘reason’ and people should embrace these things.
- The news media is dominated by the need for ratings and the approval of corporate bosses and advertisers
- The news media is heavily biased in both directions (Left and Right) and it shouldn’t be - it’s not the news media’s job to have a bias; it’s job is to find and relay information